Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Trip to Tortuguero Island




Saturday started with a 6 am departure time from the language institute. There were 10 of us who left that morning to travel to the Island of Tortuguero. It was about a 2 ½ hour bus ride followed by a 2 or 3 hour boat ride. On the bus ride I saw some really pretty scenery. San Jose is located in a “bowl” so you have to climb out to go different places. It was really pretty to see a waterfall on the side of the road. We even went through a tunnel. As I went through the tunnel I remembered how I used to be scared of tunnels as a child.

There was a couple on the trip who had actually been to Mozambique! It was nice to talk to them. They had gone there on an exploratory mission trip. When we were out on the beach on Saturday night she commented to me how there is nothing like the vastness of the African sky and she is exactly right. Nothing compares to the vastness and beauty of it in Africa.
As I thought about Mozambique and I was experiencing a new part of Costa Rica, I was reminded of how blessed I have been in my life. I realized how much of the world that I have seen through my travels. The boat ride reminded me of the mission trip I took to Brazil which involved living on a boat for a week and a half.

I also realized how some things in other cultures just become natural, you don’t think about doing them. For instance in Africa shaking someone’s hand and holding the elbow of your shaking hand is a thing I learned in Africa and at times I still do it. It just became natural. I think I thought of that as I was thinking about the Costa Rican culture and Spanish language and how things will eventually become natural to me.

After about an hour on the bus we stopped for breakfast at a hotel in the middle of a forest. It was really pretty. We had gallo pinto (beans and rice), eggs made to order, fruit and cocktail wieners. It was so peaceful and quiet at the hotel. We all agreed that we could just stay there for the day, sleep in the hammock and read a book.

We passed pineapple, coffee and banana plantations along the way. Two of my favorites, pineapple and banana. When we got closer to the port area on the coast we saw the distribution centers for DelMonte, Dole and Chiquita bananas.
Then we ended the bus ride and moved to the boat ride. We would be going 50 miles on the boat and it would take about 3 hours. As I saw different houses along the river I thought I wonder what it would be like to live here and have to travel by boat to go places. If its home to you then it’s just normal. But for those of us who are use to cars, it’s a different life. I wondered where a church was close to them.

I saw two men in a rowboat who were fishing using a string.
I saw horses grazing at the side of the river. I saw cows resting on the banks of the river. I saw the place where the fresh water meets the salt water. I saw lots of birds, crocodiles and a sloth.
About halfway through the boat ride we stopped at what looked like someone’s house but it was a restaurant. It was a good bathroom break and snack place.

We arrived about an hour later at Laguna Lodge on Tortugero Island. As I saw it, it made me homesick for Africa. It reminded me of a hotel in Malawi where we used to stay for meetings. Again I was reminded of how much I have been blessed to see and experience in my lifetime. As many people say who would have thought the shy quiet girl would travel throughout the world?
After a little rest and a good supper we then went to the beach to see if we could see the turtles that came to shore to lay their eggs. We had a guide and we had to do whatever he told us to do. It was a lot like a reality show would be, I think. It was 8 pm when we went out and it was dark. Only the guide had a flashlight. There were scouts on the beach who would send signals to the guides about what was going on with the turtles.
Our turn came and we went on the beach. We saw a 200 pound 35 year old mother turtle that had just laid her eggs and was in the process of covering up her eggs to protect them. We watched as the back legs went as fast as or faster than shovels. It was amazing how fast her back legs went. Then we watched as she left the eggs and returned to the ocean. The whole process of coming shore, laying eggs, and then leaving takes about 2 ½ to 3 hours. As the turtle returned to the ocean, I felt like I had helped her even though I didn’t do anything.
In the afternoon I did get to see baby turtles come out of the nest. They were so cute. They crawled down to the ocean and came to life as they hit the water.

As we were at the beach watching the turtles and the process that takes place, the comment was made how anyone can question the fact that there is a God. The turtles can come back to the same place years later. The baby turtles that came out were full of life.
As I was going to sleep that night I started to listen to my Ipod and then I thought why listen to this when I can hear the natural thing. I could hear the acorns hitting the tin roof, the ocean waves, the birds and the bugs. Sunday morning I enjoyed a peaceful morning. Then we left and headed back to San Jose arriving around 5 pm. It was a good weekend of rest and I enjoyed reading a book on the travels. As you know reading is one of my favorite things….

No comments: