Saturday, September 20, 2008

Update

Hello friends,

How are you?

I’m sure a lot of you are wondering how Carol is doing in Costa Rica so I just thought I’d send out an update for you. I must say this past week was very busy and tiring with classes, homework and life. It is amazing how tiring learning a new culture and language can be. The point was made that anytime you are out in the new culture you are seeing new things and all your senses are “on alert”. Thus you get tired easier. Speaking of new things, I am glad to say that I had a haircut today and its looks nice. Little by little I will continue to adjust to new things here.

The other day I was able to use one of the phrases which I had just learned in class. It was the simple question of Where is the party? I was able to ask that question to my Tica mom in reference to the conversation we were having. It’s always nice to be able to immediately use something which you have just learned.

At the school I have classes in grammar, conversation and pronunciation. This past week was a really tough week for me with the pronunciation class. The teacher has us record her speaking in class. Then we take the recording home and then we say the same sentences into the recorder. At the next class she listens to our recording and either says very good or do it again. This week I have heard the phrase do it again many times. A prayer request would be that my ears and speech would be receptive to the language of Spanish. Also that in the times of discouragement with this class that I would remember that God is my strength. The other day in class she commented to us that she had a student recently who said she couldn’t do it. The girl prayed about it. Then it was a complete turnaround and she began pronouncing things correctly.

I had a grammar test on Wednesday morning. It covered a lot of different items. As I was walking to school that day I had the thought that no matter what happens on the test, I know that God will still be God. That was such a peaceful and encouraging thought.

Yesterday and today the Baptists had a Bible study and training time. One of the families were telling about the small groups which they are leading among Nicaraguan refugees who are here in Costa Rica. They made the point about the ministry driving their language learning. They said that when they have been working in these small groups and they get to a point where they can’t understand the Spanish; then they are more determined to go to class and learn even more. There are different ministries which I can get involved in here. I would ask for your prayers as I discern the one that is best for me.

I thank you for your prayers, support, and encouragement. Just to let you know it takes about 7 days for mail to get here from the states.

I would ask for your continued prayers as I live with the Tica (Costa Rican) family. A praise is that it is going good.

I would also ask that you would pray that I would find those things which refresh me. Those things that I can do where I can relax and just enjoy. However I have found one thing I like to do which is to take the dog on a walk each day. The dog loves it to. She gets so excited when she sees me because she knows that soon she will be going for a walk.

Looking back on the past days I am reminded of how God answered some prayers before I even knew they were prayers. He continues to be faithful each and every day.

If you want to see pictures be sure to check out the blogspot. I try to keep it updated.

May God bless you all!

No comments: