Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First week of classes

I'm sure alot of you have been wondering how the first week of Spanish classes is going. The day starts with Spanish grammar at 7:30 am and it goes until 9:10 am. Then its onto conversation Spanish class until 10:15 am. After that it is chapel time. The chapel time is in English which is a nice break. After chapel I go to a phonetics class. At 12:10 pm I end the official classes for the day. Then the afternoon is left for studying, meetings, practicing and anything like that.

Right now I'm finding out how many words are similiar in Portuguese and Spanish but they are different. The phonetics teacher forewarned me and the class by saying something to the effect of she will have to do a lot of correction for Carol because of the Portuguese.

A big relief/accomplishment yesterday was to go to the Police Station to have fingerprints made as a part of the visa process. It took about an hour to get this done. But thankfully I was able to go and do it in one trip.

I'm continuing to get adjusted to getting up earlier and getting back into the class mode. The school has tried to place us in groups of about 4 or 5 people who we are in class with all day. The placement was done based on our Spanish knowledge level.

I'll try and keep you updated on how things are going......

No comments: