Friday, September 2, 2011

A trip to the market


A simple request from a friend turned into a great-unexpected blessing from God.  Traveling from Guatemala City to Antigua, Guatemala usually takes about 45 minutes.  However on this particular day it took about twice that long.  A friend of mine had asked if I wanted to go to Antigua to purchase some items, which she needed to buy for someone else. I said yes I’d go. 

We started on the way and we were delayed because of protests on different roads in Guatemala City.  Teachers and people upset with the health system of Guatemala were also protesting.  At one point the question came up should we return to the city and go another day?  We decided no we’d keep going.

We arrived in the Antigua market enjoying looking at all the colorful handmade fabric items, which the Guatemalans specialize in making.  The market area is a popular tourist area.   I saw a group of Americans who were on a volunteer team working with a fellow IMB missionary. 

As I was talking to them an older man came up and started talking to me.   I was telling him about myself and ministry in Guatemala.  A few minutes later his wife came up and joined the conversation.  We talked a few minutes and then she looked at her husband and said, “let’s bless this young lady with a financial gift”. That was a beautiful unexpected blessing that was. 

I told them thank you and then we went on our separate ways in the market.  A few minutes later the husband came up to me and asked if I knew of an orphanage in Guatemala, which needs help.  I said as a matter of fact, I do. I have a friend who runs an orphanage and she has had a difficult time recently with her sickness and two of her children dying.  I said I know she could use encouragement and support. I said the name of the lady and the wife said I know her personally, I have emailed with her but I haven’t heard anything lately from her. I said that’s why you haven’t.  I said I guess she is the one you are to contact about helping because God brought her to mind and you have a connection with her.

The day started with what I thought would be just a trip to the market and ended with an unexpected blessing from above.

No comments: