Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thoughts

October 2010

As I pray for three families who have recently lost family members, I am faced with the question am I prepared to die? Am I prepared to meet God? These were 3 men who were in the prime of their lives; they were “good” guys. However being a “good” guy doesn’t guarantee that you will go to heaven. Hebrews 9:27 "and inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment."

Do I know for sure that I am going to heaven? I know these guys were Christians and they are in heaven. I have a certainty and assurance that when I die I’ll be in heaven. How can they and I have a certainty of where we will spend eternity? Living here on Earth makes us feel like we will live forever. But we won’t. There comes a time appointed for every man to die.

When I was ten years old I made a decision to accept Christ as my personal savior and Lord. My parents are Christians, my dad is a pastor but there came a time of accountability when I had to personally say God I confess my sins to you, I believe in you, I want to live for you. I realized that I could not get to heaven based on the beliefs of others. I remember that day in August 1978 when I made that decision.

Another thought that comes up is do my friends and family have the same assurance of knowing Christ as their personal savior? Will we enjoy heaven together? For some I know the answer is yes because they have told me, we talk about it. For others I don’t know that for sure. Not because of anything they are doing or not doing but simply because I haven’t taken the time to ask.

That leads me to the question for you. Are you ready? Are you looking for a peace? Are you looking for hope in this World? Do you want to live an abundant life? I have a friend in Jesus. He has enough love for you and me and for every person on this earth. Our human minds cannot grasp the depth of the love that the Father has for us. Romans 8:39 states, “neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

As I think about the 3 men who died I think of the families who are rejoicing because their loved ones are in Heaven yet they are grieving because of the loss of their presence on this earth. But they all have an assurance that they will see their loved one again. Luke 10:20 says, “however, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

If you want to know more then I urge you to keep reading, call me, email me, facebook me. Just know that there is one God in Heaven who rejoices when sinners come to know Him. He is a God full of love. Luke 15: 7 states “I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”

Now in the words of Numbers 6:24-27 may the Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn His face to you and give you peace both now and forevermore.

No comments: